Valentine’s Day has come and gone, meaning you’ve already showered the girl in your life with chocolate, roses, love poems, and the works.
Wait…you didn’t? Maybe you forgot. Or, maybe you’re like me, and think Valentine’s is more than a little over-rated. (For your sake, I hope it’s the latter…)
Lucky for you, another romance-worthy holiday is approaching: St. Patrick’s Day.
I know, I know. St. Patty’s Day is a holiday spent with friends for eating corned beef and cabbage, drinking dark Irish beer, and pinching the poor fellows who forgot to wear green–and it is. But who said that fun and romance couldn’t go hand in hand?
Here are some creative ideas for spending the day with your lucky lady
- Surprise her with Irish soda bread for breakfast. Include chocolate chips to make it extra delectable. Pair it with butter and milk and voila– breakfast for two (and leftovers, the best part)!
- Okay, bear with me on this next idea; it’s a little strange and will take a little lot of extra effort. (Extra effort? Oy vey, right?) Hide some sort of “pot of gold”/treasure, and send her on a St. Patty’s Day scavenger hunt. You can do it at home, or if she’s a little more adventurous, send her through a few of your favorite areas around town. Draw a picture of a leprechaun, and write a clue instructing her where to look next—creativity points for writing it as a limerick! Tuck the first note in her purse (or somewhere else you know she’ll look first thing in the morning–perhaps the sugar jar or next to the sink). End it with a “pot of gold”, which could be a flower pot that looks like a leprechaun’s pot, and plant her favorite flower in it or fill it with her favorite candies. If you’re really ambitious, find a four-leaf clover.
- Write her a limerick–nothing too sappy. This isn’t Valentine’s Day, remember?! Make her laugh. Trust me. It’ll mean way more to her than any heart-shaped box of chocolates you got her in February.
- If you’re really into celebrating the holiday right, make corned beef and cabbage together. If just the sound of that makes you gag faster than I can say “the luck o’ the Irish”, go to a local lunch joint and grab a meal with fries. Fries are made of potatoes, and that’s pretty Irish, right?
- Not feeling so energetic? Turn on the history channel and watch some Irish documentaries together.
- If there are any St. Patty’s Day festivals occurring nearby, go and enjoy the Irish food, beer, and various booths. Extra points if you sweep her in your arms for some romantic Riverdancing.
Not feelin’ any of that? That’s cool, too. Grab a case of beer and some green food coloring to dye it, and head out to a friend’s party for a day of festivities. If I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times: there’s nothing more romantic or special than time spent together.
Please send questions, comments, and media inquiries to Hayley’s Corner